Why I Like Habit Tracking

I first came across the principles of Habit Tracking in James Clear's book Atomic Habits.

I like to focus on building consistency with my clients and showing them it's the consistency with which they do things that get's results not the funky or not so funky way you actually get the task done.

In my experience building consistency takes many months; it's hard at the start but it gets easier as it becomes habitual.

Whether it's setting a target to measure fitness or a body composition goal, using a habit tracker and measuring it against your results can be a revelation.

When clients hit their steps and their target number of workouts, their fitness results start to improve. It's great for their motivation to see that their consistency/habit building is working.

I encourage my clients to track one habit at a time. For those still in the throngs of New Year Resolutions with multiple goals, this can be a pretty stressful time.

Focusing on doing one thing as well as you can, having a little accountability in ticking off the task is enough in my opinion. When you have mastered that add in another goal but try to keep the stress in hitting these targets to a minimum.

You don't have to succeed every day, you want to see that over time you are getting closer to your goal, not being 100% every day (which is for most people no achievable) in the long term, anyway.


You can print off a calendar or use one of the many tracking apps free of charge.

I like this one Strides I've used it to help me stay on track with one of my own goals and I've found it very helpful.

If you want a little accountability with your own goals, why not give it a go and see if you find it helpful x






Comments

Popular Posts