Don't Rely On Motivation

 I spoke at a virtual conference on Saturday, which was fun and one of the questions I was asked was how to help someone who isn't motivated to exercise.

My answer "Tell them not to rely on motivation"

Why did I say that? 

Firstly, the definition of Motivation

"The (conscious or unconscious) stimulus for action towards a desired goal, esp. as resulting from psychological or social factors; the factors giving purpose or direction to human or animal behaviour. 

Now also more generally the reason a person has for acting in a particular way, a motive"

The truth is the days you feel super motivated to do anything might be rare and that's normal. Expecting to wake up every day highly motivated often leads people to think there is something wrong with them when it's very normal.

I love training but it's been a huge part of my life for 40 years and I only do things I really, really enjoy so I don't need to rely on motivation. If I waited to be motivated on the days I didn't feel like it some days I would have a long wait!

So what do you if you are new to building a health habit and you are relying on motivation to get it done?

1. Make sure you enjoy whatever it is you are doing! If you hate the type of exercise you are trying to force yourself to do it's going to be a real battle! If you hate the diet you have decided you are doing, it's highly likely you are going to stop and revert back to your old habits. 

2. Enjoyment and a little excitement to do your new habit are going to help you. Remind yourself of the feelings you have when it's done. If it's exercise, there are SO many different ways to be active, try lots of things and find what works for you, when you enjoy something you will rarely have to force yourself to do it. Research how to be healthy, try not to engage in fad diets and find something that is more sustainable, longer term and a way of eating that you never stop doing!

3. Connect to your Why. By that I mean something that is deeply meaningful to you. What are the consequences of not going through with your intentions? Find out what the deep desire is within you to take this action. Make a promise to yourself and don't break it!

4. Take small steps. Rome wasn't built in a day, I like to help my clients set small, very achievable goals, it develops belief in your ability to achieve a goal. It's great to have a big scary goal but along the way you need to set some outcome goals that prove to yourself you are on track. We focus on being consistent as well as having realistic expectations of what is possible in a set amount of time.

5. Accountability. A really important part of coaching clients is to help them develop a strong sense of accountability for themselves. It takes time and some will need support to work out how they do that. I won't let my clients off the hook. I'll always show up and I'll always be there for them. It's important to at least get started and 9/10 times you feel better for getting started!

Don't look for motivation, look for enjoyment x


Comments

Popular Posts