How I Support Clients with Mental Illness

My own history with mental illness, depression and Bulimia Nervosa and subsequent recovery meant that when I became a Personal Trainer I had a strong desire to support people who might be going through a similar experience.

Over the last 10 years I  have been fortunate to work with mental illness organisations in Oxford offering support to help people become fitter and healthier. 

I've learned from the perspective of those working in those organisations as well as those who use the services. It's given me different perspectives and empathy for the varying ways mental illness can affect any of us.

The first thing it's important to say is that I am not qualified to help clients recover from mental illness. My duty of care is to ensure they have the support of a suitably qualified person to take them through that journey. 

For me, the combination of professional support and my guidance to a safe way to become more active is optimal. 

The clients I currently work with all have this important support and the approval of this person to work with me improving their fitness and overall health.

Mental Illness can be a very isolating experience. Despite there being much more dialogue about mental illness in the press and on social media, the stigma is still there. 

In the early days of my recovery I found it personally comforting to know I was not the only person who felt like this. I try to share a little of my story so that my clients also feel comforted that they know someone who understands perhaps a little of what they might be feeling

I encourage all my clients to focus on consistency. Starting with small and very manageable goals each day/week. A walk every day in the fresh air, just getting out the door. I think it's important to feel the elements on your face and be outside, even if initially that's a short period of time.

It's not always the case that we come back feeling totally different and invigorated but it is a starting point to taking care of yourself. 

I like to see my clients set themselves things they want to be able to do. For some that will be allowing themselves to do less training. For others it might be to complete 3 short workouts at home each week. 

The mental and physical benefits of regular exercise go far beyond the size of your body. Focusing on being more active, stronger, finishing the 0 to 5k app, whatever you would like to achieve allows all of us to direct our energy and attention to a place that is more about health and less about how a body looks. 

Hope is an optimistic state of mine and it is an important aspect of recovery. When I was working with a peer led support group in Oxford a Psychiatrist explained that they needed in-patients to meet the group because it offered hope they too could become well enough to be at home with their family and friends. If you never meet anyone who has learned to manage their mental illness symptoms, how do you know it's possible?

I try to make being active as easy as it can be initially, when you set small, very achievable goals it gives you a greater sense of achievement. That can be very infectious and little by little you are doing more each day to improve your physical health. Combined with working with a professional to improve your mental health it's possible to see hope that you can manage your symptoms and live the life you want to x

Oxfordshire Mind One of many wonderful places that will help you get the support you need. 


Comments

Popular Posts