Are You Lacking Motivation or Do You Simply Need To Start?

Motivation that's what you need or Dedication that's what you need? Anyone recognise the latter part of that sentence? I'm showing my age now!

We all hear it a lot, I just don't have the motivation to do XYZ.

Motivation ebbs and flows, some days you feel excited to exercise, be productive at work, eat well and some days you just don't. That's normal.

However, if you have a goal on days when you feel that you don't have motivation, you just need to start! You can't rely on always feeling totally fired up for work, exercise or eating well.

I love exercise but some days I just don't feel like I want to do it. Where does my motivation come from on those days? I think about the example I am setting for my clients, I think about do I want to be someone who works hard to achieve their goals?

You learn a huge amount about yourself when you exercise on days when you don't feel like it. You have to get out the door and start to see how you feel. Feelings don't dictate outcomes.

I've often started a training session thinking I don't feel like this but have no honest reason not to do it other than feeling a bit meh! I start the session and tell myself it doesn't matter if this session does not go to plan. Taking action is better than inaction.

Guess what happens 99.9% of the time? The session goes exactly to plan, sometimes it goes better than I planned. A magical thing happens sometimes when you take away expectations and you just do it!


Next time you don't "feel" like doing exercise, tell yourself you are going to do it for 10 minutes and then decide what you do. These are important days to learn that you can move your body even when you don't particularly feel like it.

If this is something you have found difficult, get in touch. I love to help my clients overcome barriers to their goals x

Comments

Popular Posts