Why You Feel Physically Exhausted During Difficult Times

I've spoken to almost every client I am seeing at the moment about this topic.

They feel physically exhausted and low but they aren't working out really hard.

It happens when we are not going through a global pandemic but more people are experiencing it because it's affecting everyone in some way.

I learned from my counsellor that when you expend a lot of emotional energy it feels like you have done a really big physical workout.

After my counselling sessions I would feel absolutely exhausted but I had literally sat in a chair and talked for 50 minutes with my counsellor, how does that work!?

The term is a therapy hangover. It wipes you out and you feel like you need to go to bed and lie down and sleep for the rest of the day.


This is how a lot of people are feeling during the current lock down but they might not recognise it. It's probably why you have days when you feel like you just want to lie in bed or on the sofa and watch Netflix.

If you spend 5 hours in a day worrying, feeling anxious about anything there is a physical toll on the mind and body.

The other side of this mental exhaustion is that you start to make mistakes, hurt yourself or do something that you think how on earth did I do that!?

Take care if you are having a day when you are really distracted, anxious or on edge. Make sure you take the necessary precautions to stay safe. If that's a new workout, go easy! Don't feel that you have to do everything the instructor does, allow your body time to get used to the new activity but enjoy it :) x


Comments

Popular Posts