Adversity Is Inevitable Staying Positive Is Optional

In uncertain times it's often feels harder to cope than when adversity actually strikes.

Manage My Expectations
As a self employed business owner this is a worrying time.

Instead of expecting the future to offer me something specific I am focusing on what I can create to  help my clients stay healthy mentally and physically.

New Possibilities
The hardest part of uncertainty is the inability to plan and feel in control. What I can plan is a list of possible opportunities of both paid and voluntary and build a comprehensive list of things around the home that need attention.

Control The Feelings
It's easy to let the feelings overwhelm you and let your thoughts travel to a much darker place. If I feel overwhelmed by my own thoughts I try acknowledge the feelings and then talk to someone to get a different perspective.  More than ever how you communicate is critical, don't struggle in silence.














Choose To Think Positively
We can choose to think negatively or we can choose to think positively. In my experience being stuck in negativity does not help the situation, it just keeps me stuck and makes life feel even harder. Choose to see positives where you can, if you look they are there. Eat food that is good for your body, move: it's good for your body, talk to friends and family, it's good for the heart and soul.

Coping Mechanisms
In uncertainty we are naturally more stressed. Finding positive ways to cope is critical. Find ways to keep yourself in the moment. A little escapism right now is a pretty healthy thing to do, we don't need to be exposed to the stress all the time. Exercise, go for a walk, talk to your loved ones, cook a lovely meal, read a book, do yoga, medicate, give your pet some grooming x

How to Protect Your Mental Health - A great article with simple practical tips

Doing The Things I Normally Do
For now I can work as normal. That will change and I will evolve with that change. I am a triathlete so I have a choice of 3 sports and I can improve my overall strength. I decide each day what I feel like doing. I enjoy eating healthy food, so being inventive with new recipes may become something we all need to be good at.  I'm facing my emotions head on. Sticking my head in the sand and ignoring difficult situations is not going to help. I'm asking my husband for more help (something I don't find naturally easy) and I'm asking him to share his concerns with me.

Setting New Goals
My hobby is triathlon and racing is on hold for the foreseeable future but that does not mean I am going to stop doing the things I love. Positive things I am committing to:

  • Develop as many new ways to support and help my clients as I can
  • Volunteer in my local community
  • Work on becoming stronger on my bike
  • Enjoy running and riding outdoors when I am able to
  • Build a strength programme to enable me to be a stronger swimmer and triathlete in general
  • Feed myself the most nutritious meals I can that I will also enjoy and hydrate well
When I focus on all the things I enjoy there is s less capacity for worry and anxiety.

Stay well and I hope that you find ways to protect yourself and be positive x









Comments

Popular Posts