2014 - Things Can Only Get Better

It's taken me quite a long time to write this post but I feel ready to document the last few months, put them to bed and finally move on!

So what's being going on?

February 2014 - I find out I've qualified for the European Triathlon Championships in Kitzbuhel whilst training for the half ironman distance! I change tack and head off to do a 10k race at Dorney Lake but get delayed in traffic and don't make the start :( I go home and run the distance on my own in my race flats (with hindsight this was not a smart move!)

March 2014 - I have picked up a niggle in my right heel that just won't settle, It doesn't stop me training but it does keep reminding me something is wrong every time I run.

April 2014 - I make the proactive decision to see a physio to try to get rid of the niggle. the physio does some manipulations on my hip, which feel pretty aggressive and allows me to continue to train. My body does not feel good at any point during any run and I have continual lower back pain too. 

May 2014 - I start to experience extreme pain and that my right leg is giving away when I run. I also have extreme pain in both knees and especially the right knee. The physio treating me leaves the practice and I am left trying to find someone to help me become pain free.

I see a trusted Osteopath who suspects I have a tear in my hip cartilage and it's going to require an MRI to diagnose correctly but will probably require surgery if that is correct!

I continue to swim and ride as much as I can without pain but running has had to stop as it's just not worth the long term risk until I know exactly what I am faced with.

June 2014 - I go to the European Triathlon Championships in Kitzbuhel with the understanding that I will swim as hard as I can, take it very easy on the bike on the hills especially and see how my body responds to running.

I am pleased to say that my race was not a complete disaster thanks to quite a bit of pain medication and I successfully ran the 5k without any pain but just keeping at a pace that felt good.

July 2014 - A friend who is a GP assesses me and agrees with my Osteopath that I have a labral tear in my hip cartilage. He recommends I have an MRI as quickly as I possibly can. I duly have the MRI and my fears are confirmed and the damage will require surgery.

August 2014 - I am recommended by my GP to see a private consultant to decide exactly what treatment is required to repair the damage.

The consultant is absolutely brilliant and while surgery is the only option for me, he is confident I will be 100% good to go after key hole surgery to repair the labrum. Again having this confirmed was tough but at least I knew exactly what the procedure was and knew more about how much time off work and training I would have to have. 

Sometimes being in limbo not knowing what will happen is worse than the actual diagnosis, regardless of what it means.

September 2014 - I put my heart and soul into my clients and my business and getting everything in order for my return after my surgery. I am told my surgery will happen after my holiday at the beginning of October and I finally feel like I am on the road to recovery properly.

October 2014 - I enjoy a wonderful 2 week holiday in Corsica with my husband. I return and on 16th October I undergo my keyhole surgery to repair my hip.

The surgery goes really well and the damage is not as bad as first thought, stitches to the cartilage are not required.

I am now 2 weeks post surgery and allowed to drive, go back to work and I have even managed to do some 30 minute sessions on my indoor bike trainer to help keep my hip moving.

Now the surgery is done it is all about being patient, ensuring I recover properly and do not start doing too much too soon.

I have been told in 2 weeks time I can get back in the water, this is very exciting!!! 

It may well be almost 2015 before I run and can get back to working hard on the bike but I know I will soon and that's all I need to know right now :)

So as you can see 2014 has had it's challenges. As someone who has had depression in the past I really feel I  have coped pretty well with not being able to do all the things I love and being limited in what I can do at work.

It's normal to have times when it gets to you, you feel down and you just miss not being able to do the things you love but I tried to find other things that I could enjoy.

My friends and family were more than amazing during this time. I am so grateful for all the words of support, kindness and encouragement I received from them. 

You really do have to focus on what you can do and not what you can't!

I'll keep you up to date with my progress and it will be exciting to keep you up to date on my return to full fitness :)



Comments

Popular Posts