Done Duston - Ist Triathlon Of 2014

Duston Triathlon is one of my favourite races to do, not only is it the first race of the year but with staggered swim starts I don't have to get up at dark o'clock, bonus!

It's organised by Just Racing who are a long established company and it shows in just how slick all their races are. If you are a first timer reading this I recommend you try a tri with them!

Thanks to James Rudd Photography for the fun photo booth!
My race started at 11:57, a nice lie in for a Sunday morning followed by a frothy coffee and a bagel with peanut butter and jam (my go to easy to eat pre race brekkie) A big glass of water and it was time to put my bag and bike into the car.

I was feeling very calm given that it's race morning and I was very happy with that :) As I got closer to Duston the nerves started to kick in but I have to say it was more excitement to see where my fitness was :)

I got my race pack and set up in transition all very easy and was ready to rock with quite a bit of time to spare so I found a fairly quiet spot to go through my usual pre race routine and was feeling nice and calm.

Swim
I have been working hard on my swimming and I was looking forward to seeing if with the additional adrenaline rush from racing I could have my fastest 400m time. However, I had not factored in that people who I was racing with may have over estimated their swim time! Mad smiley 1 Please note, when you asked for your swim time on entering a race state the time you can do not the time you would like to do!

So having to tap toes and then sit on them until the end of the lane is not the ideal scenario for a fast swim. Nothing you can do but get on with it but frustrating all the same.

Bike
I had a good transition and had a big smile on my face watching guys wander all over the road out of transition faffing trying to get their feet in their shoes. Advisory note, practice putting your feet in shoes attached to your bike and make sure you can do it in a straight line! Shouting "on your right" and speeding past them was fun all the same! Happy smiley 9

This bike course is undulating, they aren't hills but they keep you working hard all the time. Having done the race twice before I know pretty well where all the lumps and bumps are and it makes for a much more confident ride.

All went well but I found my mind wandering at times and my goal between now and Kitzbuhel is to remain very present and focused for the entire bike. Good to know what I need to work on.

Run
I managed to over vaseline my shoes making them very difficult to slip into, rookie mistake! Better at Duston than in Kitzbuhel so a good reminder of why it's important to do practice races before the biggies!

Having spent much more time on the drops when I got off I immediately had quite strong back ache. Thankfully after 2 minutes it subsided and I could run normally and get into my stride.

I currently have a bit of a niggle in my right heel that at times gives me issues Sad smiley 67. Today it decided to show it's face and was a little frustrating that any time I tried to push the pace it would become a stabbing unbearable pain. I am now on the case to be rid of the niggle so I can hit my hard sessions hard and without fear of an injury that stops me running. Again, a valuable lesson that the niggle needs to be sorted now to ensure it's not something I have to worry about in Kitzbuhel.

I finished 2nd in my age group and I am very happy with that Jumping smiley 3

Lots of valuable lessons from my first race and lots of positives. It's a great start to 2014 and I'm looking forward to my next race the British Sprint Championships and ultimately having the best day I can in Kitzbuhel.

If you want a fun, friendly and very well organised race I can't recommend Duston Triathlon enough. If you have kids that are interested in triathlon there are kids races the day before.

So now it's back to training and I have a list of things to work on before the next one, where hopefully I will improve from this race Sign smiley 203

Comments

Popular Posts